LiveCD at iTech

Monty J. Harder mjharder at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 16:46:05 CDT 2005

Next year, I think we need to do a couple of things differently.
1) We don't even try to do the 6.10 release of Ubuntu, because it will by
definition be too new to know if there are issues. Instead, if 6.04 is
solid, we use it, which has the advantage that several of us can order
bunches of official discs well in advance of the event, and collect them
together ahead of time, instead of finding out after the show has started
that people who have promised to bring some are unable to make it to the
event due to some unforseen problem. It can happen to anyone. Last year,
Chris was in an accident. This year, we had at least one person too young to
be allowed on the show floor. The goal here is to have a good supply of live
CDs and/or OpenCD (FOSS apps for Windows) actually in the hall before the
show opens.

2) The other advantage of choosing a CD several months in advance is that we
might even be able to customize it. I think we need to make sure that any
Windows functionality includes in the K-meleon screen a link to an on-disk
html document, and the live desktop should have an icon linking to the same
document, which would include KCLUG info, such as the base http://kclug.org,
our available services. Adding this document in exchange for the time and
expense we incur in burning CDs seems a fair bargain to me.