CodeWeavers "throwing down the gauntlet"

Justin Dugger jldugger at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 12:16:38 CDT 2005

>"If Linux is to really catch on like wildfire as a desktop
replacement then is really
>should become a universal OS."

Key to any "destop replacement" should be native code.  In other
words, if you want Linux to be a replacement that takes the world by
storm, why settle for those shitty solutions that even Mac users hate
(virtual machines and other emulation nonsense).  Native applications
are the final solution, and are far less prone to emulation errors and
other incompatibilities.

To borrow your horribly worded and strange metaphor, imagine that you
moved to the state of Idaho, only to discover that Idaho has a
entirely different electric system, and none of your electronics will
work as is! The good news is that the cost of living is cheap in
Idaho, and you can easily pick up either a converter, or you can
replace your stuff.  The converter is simple, but a fire hazard.  A
few compaines are willing to provide their customers with a slightly
different product capable of working in Idaho, at a very slight cost,
or sometimes even free. Now, most people don't want to have to put up
with the BS of buying a converter to use the stuff they already own;
what's nessecary is basic support for Idaho out of the box. Only then
will Linux accomplish its goal of desktop replacement, if that is
somehow a worthy goal.

A long time ago, before Microsoft cleansed the earth of its
competitors, software would come with multiple disks, for multiple
types of systems. In particular, I recall an old James Bond game that
was available for Commodore64, PC-DOS, Amiga, and I think Macintosh.
Unreal Tournament 2004 works just fine on Linux, Windows, and I
believe Mac. By purchasing CrossOver, you implicitly reward stopgap
solutions and discourage native code, and you wind up holding that
software for ransom via bounties.

Finally, remember that this "Gauntlet" only applies to the
installation of software.  That's right, they want the user community
to perform the most rudimentary Q&A possible, and repeat this in the
future to make sure no regressions appear in the installers.  That's
not so bad for an open source project, but CodeWeavers actively sells
their product.  CrossOver costs 75 dollars for a CD installer of it.
If I'm paying money, it's because I don't have the time and patience
to get WINE working; this scarcity also applies to testing whether an
application INSTALLS or not.  I would have imagined this to be
something easily automated with a few scripts they should be capable
of writing in house:
1. copy a fresh image of WINE windows
2. copy whatever package you're trying to install to the image
3. run the installer
4. execute a macro to install the software in a standard way
5. verify that there isn't any diff between this and a known working image.

There should be some modifications to that for times when regressions
appear, but you get the idea.

Justin Dugger