CodeWeavers "throwing down the gauntlet"

Phoenician Phoenician at phoenixcolony.com
Thu Jul 21 10:59:37 CDT 2005

---
>>...improve Wine until it can run nearly every Windows program...
---
  I didn't switch to linux to run all my windows apps on it!
---

I think the point was kind of missed.  If you cannot evaluate the
competition's software/applications side-by-side it is not a very good
comparison.  Also, admit it, the majority of people on this list are
well above average when it comes to technical acumen.  If Linux is to
really catch on like wildfire as a desktop replacement then is really
should become a universal OS.  It will need to run any desktop
application from any desktop OS. Think about it this way - If you moved
to Florida (or your favorite location) and the requirements to live
there were that you HAD to paint your house a specific set of colors, it
had to be build a certain way, and you had to wear reed skirts with a
tank top and flip-flops only a few people would find that appealing.
Now, it the clothing and housing restrictions were removed, move people
would live there.  Pretty much the same thing when it comes to the
desktop environment.

 Please note, I am making a distinction here.  Desktop vs. Server.

My two pence.

- Michienne