Good supported wireless desktop adapter

Gerald Combs gerald at ethereal.com
Sun Jul 17 12:31:23 CDT 2005

Justin Dugger wrote:

> The ndiswrapper solution is interesting, but if you're curious at all,
> the madwifi drivers seem to work perfectly well, and support WPA, etc.
> I would imagine its possible that in the future they could support
> newer versions of the 802.11 spec, given that you dont need a change
> in the radio.

NdisWrapper was a giant step backwards if you're interested in 802.11
analysis or wardriving.  NDIS (and NdisWrapper by extension) can't pass
raw 802.11 frames up the stack.  It converts them to a fake Ethernet
frame instead, stripping off all of the 802.11-specific information.  If
you want to see beacon frames, management frames, or 802.11 frame
control information you have to use native Linux (or BSD) drivers.