Good supported wireless desktop adapter

Brad Crotchett brad at bradandkim.net
Sun Jul 17 09:18:39 CDT 2005

Justin wrote:
> The ndiswrapper solution is interesting, but if you're curious at all,
> the madwifi drivers seem to work perfectly well, and support WPA, etc.
> I would imagine its possible that in the future they could support
> newer versions of the 802.11 spec, given that you dont need a change
> in the radio.
>
> The madwifi docs suggest that both the g510 and 520 are compatible; D
> Link suggests that the 520 can get "up to 108 Mbps!!elevens!" and that
> it can do WPA (slightly more important).  Newegg claimed the 510 didnt
> do WPA (it seems it does) so that's why I wound up paying ten bucks
> extra for nothing, it seems.  Anyways, just a thought that you or
> anyone else following along might check it out, especially if you're
> considering AMD64.
>
> Justin

Yeah,  I started encountering drops and lost sync with ndiswrapper so I am
trying madwifi now.  It detects the card, but I must not be entering my
key or something correctly because I am not getting a lease.  I used the
atrpms RPM for madwifi and iwconfig to enter the key, essid and so forth.
One thing that I found I had to enter under ndiswrapper was the freq but I
get an error trying to enter that with madwifi using iwconfig.  More to
play with I guess.

Thanks,

Brad