Ruby On Rails / Web Technologies

Frank Wiles frank at wiles.org
Thu Jul 14 14:59:09 CDT 2005

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 13:36:48 -0500
Josh Charles <josh.charles at gmail.com> wrote:

> >   You might also want to check into mod_perl.  While there isn't a
> >   name such as "Ruby on Rails" for this, Perl, mod_perl, and module
> >   you can download off the CPAN can provide all of this
> >   functionality in ways that don't require much "integration".
>
> A module from CPAN?  I went over to their site and saw a ton of stuff
> there.  I foresee alot of trouble getting all those things to work
> together.  I installed Ruby, The Rails framework, MySQL, then went on
> to create a simple list manager in the span of about an hour.
>
> The one thing I'm missing is a really good IDE.
>
> Something I do not yet know about it deployment.  For example, will I
> just be able to copy the code onto the server once I get the database
> settings set, or will I need to change access to certain folders?

  It's actually multiple modules you can plug-n-play depending on how
  you want to do things.

  For example you can use the MVC framework Catalyst, or create your
  own easily with Class::DBI and a templating system such as
  Template::Toolkit, HTML::Template, Mason, etc, etc, etc.

  It's not as tightly intergrated as something like Rails, but does give
  you flexibility in how you do things.

  It's actually pretty easy to get the necessary parts to work well
  together.