wardriving a crime in Florida?

John Townsend tragicallykarmic at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 8 11:04:54 CDT 2005

This is where I think the whole thing gets a little
bit tricky, the articles I read seemed set up to try
and start a panic among less technical people. I
wouldn't be surprised if we see people who go
wardriving without acessing the networks getting
arrested soon. It will be interesting to see what the
charge will be.

I believe the guy in Florida was charged with network
intrusion. I think it will all come down to whether or
not his lawyer can convince the judge that accessing a
network that has been intentionally left open is not
"intruding". If this is the case it will probably lead
to a legal precedent and a lot of confusion.

I mean you have open networks that have been left
open, open networks where the owner doesn't know how
to close it, closed networks that have been cracked,
closed networks that have been cracked by somebody
else and look open. Plus the issues of usage and
intent. Should get interesting.