local development server and mapping drives

D. Hageman dhageman at dracken.com
Fri Apr 29 14:32:47 CDT 2005

Well, I recommend even on an internal network to setup host based
firewalls, use tcp_wrappers, etc.  I will say that we still run NFS to
support all the EECS linux lab machines at KU and we haven't had a
security issue with NFS in a long time.  We also run Samba off the box to
support all the Windows machines.  Either one works quite well.

FYI - the reason why I bring up security and a college network is that
college networks get attacked quite a bit.  They are usually easy targets
for people who are looking to practice their cracking skills since many
people are setting up boxes that are not greatly experienced.  It is also
a worthwhile score due to the large amounts of bandwidth available.

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, Kelsay, Brian - Kansas City, MO wrote:

> Couldn't you specifically deny all outside access to the box from the
> big bad internet?  I'd do that via Iptables on your firewall.  You are
> using a Linux firewall, aren't you?

>>> Samba