local development server and mapping drives

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Fri Apr 29 14:09:11 CDT 2005

On Friday 29 April 2005 10:02, Jack wrote:
> I'm looking to add a headless server, in some out of
> the way location to make a webserver (intranet)/ db
> server. I want to use it for development of websites
> and database apps on, from my desktop. But, I want the
> ease of use of being able to read and write files
> without doing ftp, etc. I'd like to be able to point
> Quanta/Konquerer at it and have it look like a local
> filesystem. Is this a Samba project? Or is there
> another way to accomplish this, while still protecting
> the system from remote attacks should someone breach
> the firewall, or having the server inadvertantly
> expose itself beyond the firewall?

I'm surprised that no one else mentioned this yet:

All KDE apps have KIOSlaves available to them. This means that any WebDAV,
FTP, SFTP, SMB, NFS, LDAP, IMAP/S, SMTP and most importantly SSH URL may
appear to a KDE app as a local file system.

So, for instance, you can fire up Kate and type fish://username@<ssh ip
address>/home/<username>/file.txt and edit a remote file as though it's
local.

Quanta also supports this. So you don't need to configure anything. By having
SSH installed you have all you need.