database

Frank Wiles frank at wiles.org
Wed Apr 27 11:38:33 CDT 2005

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 22:38:06 -0700 (PDT)
Leo Mauler <webgiant at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I, too, would be interested in this sort of
> information, as I might have a summer job indexing a
> local newspaper's back issues for the first time.
> They really don't care how its done as long as its
> searchable, so I originally thought "flat file".
> However, something more complex than a flat file
> certainly lends itself to better access options, and
> possibly easier updates (which might be worth a bonus
> from them).

  You'll want to stay away from flat file for performance
  reasons.  I'd suggest putting the data in PostgreSQL which
  has a nifty full text searching add-on called tsearch2.

  Basically with tsearch2 you can do search engine like
  searches on your textual data and have it sorted by
  how good of a match you get.