Linux Certification

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 21 22:05:34 CDT 2005

--- Leo Mauler wrote:
> Don't know much about this being a good way to find
> out about prospective employees.  Some of us are
> very
> good at bluffing: about four years ago I had never
> touched Microsoft Excel, and yet I scored 88% on the
> test for it for some temp agency.

If you scored 88% on a programming test, I certainly
wouldn't hire you. That would mean that someone would
have to fix more than 10% of your code. Not an
exciting
prospect. But I was actually referring to tests that I
would create using test building software that comes
free with Linux. I think tests should be created
specifically for the needs of the company doing
the hiring. I haven't been to any of the "prove it"
test sites. Certainly, they are no magic bullet. But a

certificate only says you studied some book, or took a
course and then took a test and can be relied upon to
perform any task identical to the test.

Of course the performance tests are better than this.

Multiple choice tests are the worst measure.

Brian D.