UML CASE tools

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 21 21:40:05 CDT 2005

--- Jim Herrmann <kclug at itdepends.com> wrote:
> Our company uses Rational Rose for UML modeling, and
> ERwin for DB
> modeling.  But now you're talking serious money for
> either of those
> tools.  Probably not what you're looking for, but I
> thought I would
> offer it up.  Have you looked at Dia?  It will draw
> boxes that you can
> connect.  You can't generate anything out of it, but
> it's got the
> boxes.

Thanks Everyone for the responses.
I went with Dia + tedia2sql for the time being.
With Dia you can use UML class objects to do the
drawing (turn off the display of functions. Adding
attributes for the fields. You can set Primary keys by

setting them as protected elements. Tedia2sql can read

the dia document and create sql scripts that can be
used to create the database objects with primary keys
and foreign keys if you want. It can create for many
db
formats and can handle quite complex set ups. Not
quite
the one step type of operation I was looking for but a

real big time-saver.

Brian D.