Linux Don'ts

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Tue Apr 19 00:26:46 CDT 2005

On Monday 18 April 2005 21:34, Robert Kennedy wrote:
> So here's what I want input on. Are there any brands
> for the hardware that I should tell my nephew NOT to
> consider? What are your practical opinions on the
> distro?

Only NVIDIA graphics cards. SCSI is generally well-supported but you really
want to move to USB for scanners as soon as you can. SB Live! is the best
sound card out there, still. Prefer SATA if you can. Stay away from using
integrated nForce network adaptors. All USB keyboards and mice will work. 192
mb of RAM for a decent GUI experience. 256 for comfortable. 512 for nice.
1024+ for blazing. Prefer cheap laser over a cheap inkjet.

Ubuntu for desktop distro. "Debian testing" (from experimental installer) for
serious work or server distro.