Linux Don'ts

Robert Kennedy erwin_k_r at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 18 21:34:20 CDT 2005

Hi All,

The time has come to upgrade my home system. I have a
college age nephew who builds Windows systems. He can
always use the extra bucks, so I'll let him get the
new MB, processor, & ram.

Currently my system has a SoundBlaster Live card, a
Matrox duel head graphics card, plus a SCSI card for
the HP ScanJet. I'd prefer to stick with AMD
processors.

I currently run SUSE 9.0. My wife seems to think I run
"that stupid Linux" just to tee her off. Therefore
I've wondered about switching to Linspire or Xandros
because they are intended to make Windows refugees
feel comfortable. (Don't say duel boot. She can't be
bothered to log on to a separate Linux account.)

So here's what I want input on. Are there any brands
for the hardware that I should tell my nephew NOT to
consider? What are your practical opinions on the
distro?

Any help appreciated,

Bob Kennedy