Migrating to Linux - WP

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 17 09:39:24 CDT 2005

I remember the Linux Corel WordPerfect app.  I filled
out a registration form for a free copy once.  It
worked fairly well but by then I had been corrupted by
WordPad into only liking M$ Office-like word
processing applications.

Then StarDivision came out with a free version of
StarOffice 5.0 and I never looked back.  :)  Linux
StarOffice 5.1 installed into 120MB fairly
comfortably, perfect for that first laptop with the
500MB hard drive.

To those who don't know the history: StarDivision, a
German company I believe, made StarOffice first, a
very close Microsoft Office clone.  Then they released
a proprietary Linux version, and made it free to test
the waters.  Then StarDivision was acquired by Sun
Corporation.  Sun made the source code for nearly all
of StarOffice into Open Source (excluding the very
proprietary Adabas database software) and
OpenOffice.org was born.

Whats interesting is that the Linux version of Adabas
was released along with StarOffice 5.1 and 5.2, so if
you put up with the StarOffice desktop you could have
a database application as part of the suite for free.
I don't know if OpenOffice.org has added a database
app yet.  I doubt it, the assumption seems to be that
MySQL is easier to learn than it is.  :(