Migrating to Linux - WP

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 15 10:00:29 CDT 2005

--- Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
> On Wed, April 13, 2005 12:30 pm, Jack said:
>
> So it appears that oo has decided to use Java for
> functions somewhat like
> MS Offices uses Visual Basic.  "Document Wizards"
> are a Microsoftian evil,
> but some amount of macro scripting is useful for
> things like invoice
> systems.
Well what would you recommend they use?

> which Java do you install?
When in doubt install the official version which would
be Sun's.

> ... Choosing,
> installing, and maintaining a Java distribution to
> support a single app is
> a bit like installing Microsoft Office Professional
> to edit a one-page
> text file, if there were multiple versions of Office
> to choose from.
While Java could be considered an OS, just as much as
say PERL or Python could be, I don't really see it as
such. I see it as an appliaction that interacts with
other applications. I also respectfully disagree with
MS Office comparison. Open Office is as far as I can
tell more powerful. I've written small books in OO,
that can easily be sent in a format that is ready for
a printer (printer as in commercial book printer as
opposed to the office hardware printer) to use. I've
found OO to be much more robust creating usable online
books and it also loads books faster. Not that OO is
perfect, far from it.

Brian D.