Request for help: Debian firewall,and maybe some kernel upgradetips

Brian Kelsay Brian.Kelsay at kcc.usda.gov
Thu Apr 14 12:00:52 CDT 2005

I just said that because when I was enabling FTP on my server and thru the firewall, I opened port 20.  Course I listened to dj_goku and that may have been mistake number 1.  ;-)  (We just love to bag on dj_goku.)

Brian Kelsay

>>> Justin Dugger <jldugger at gmail.com> 04/14/05 11:52AM >>>
 Actually, you probably need a ftp tracking module installed into the
 kernel; ftp has two ports, the command and data port. The command port
 is 21, which does things like initiate transfers and list directory
 contents, etc.  It also sends a random number which pertains to the
 port number for the data port. Now that I think of it, this usually
 matters much more for the clients, I'm not so sure of the server.
 Anyone wiser than I (it isn't hard)?