Reply-to (was Re: Storage drive problems)

Jeremy Turner jeremy at linuxwebguy.com
Wed Apr 6 14:47:51 CDT 2005

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 12:40:57PM -0500, Justin Dugger wrote:
> Also, is there a way to set the reply-to on this mailing list to
> kclug at kclug.org instead of the original author of a particular sender?
> On more than one occasion I've meant to send to the list and sent a
> direct reply instead, so I thought I'd see if there's some option I'm
> missing that could help the absent minded like myself.

A lot of email clients include 'Reply to List' which sounds like what
you want.  I don't know if Gmail includes this.  I know Gmail has 'Reply
to All' which would also work.

Reply-to munging (e.g. changing the Reply-to: field of an email) is
generally a bad idea because it can cause inadvertent replies going back
to the mailing list when they should have gone to the person who sent
the email.  And it is more difficult to email the person directly if the
reply-to is set, rather than using reply to all, as was mentioned.

For more info, Google has lots of hits on reply-to munging, and I think
it's even been covered on this list before.

Jeremy