OT: laptop opinion

D. Hageman dhageman at dracken.com
Mon Apr 4 00:20:22 CDT 2005

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005, Tim Reid wrote:

> Doese anyone have any experiance with the Dell inspirion line of laptops?
> Are they good/bad?  How is Dell's service? (i've heard it sucks)
>
> TIA,

I guess I will stand alone in my opinion that I have had really good luck
with them.  I have owned 4 of them and only one of them I don't really
like.  It was a quick buy for my job and I also wanted to play Doom 3 on
it, so it is beafy, but it is more of a luggable instead of a portable.
The thing people need to realize is that since you carry around laptops
and expose them to a wide variety of conditions - they *will* break
periodically.  I usually get the 3 year onsite next business day warranty.
If I call by about 3ish in the afternoon they will have a guy there the
next day.  Occasionally I have had a part come D.O.A.  No biggie, then they
are back the next day.  Some people get really worked up over this.  I
don't.  Why?!  Well, it isn't costing me money to ship it back and forth
to Dell and it is quicker even if the first part is D.O.A.  Plus, in
shipping stuff gets knocked around pretty badly ... it might leave
the company fixed and arrive broken to you.  It doesn't get lost in the
mail either because it never left my hands!  If you do buy a Dell laptop -
get the onsite warranty ... it doesn't cost that much more if you
recognize that you *will* use it.

||  D. Hageman                    <dhageman at dracken.com>  ||