Update: was RE: Linux Audio "VCR"?

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 3 09:59:24 CDT 2005

I think I've figured out a set of commands using
ecasound-2.3.5 and lame-3.96.1, taking in sound from
/dev/dsp, which will let me record off Line-In for an
exact period of minutes, create a raw PCM stream from
that, and encode it on-the-fly into a MP3 file.
44.1Hz, 128k MP3 (all my MP3 players require 128k
MP3), joint stereo.

ecasound -b 512 -i /dev/dsp -o:stdout -t 120 | lame -r
-x -mj -s44.1 --resample 44.1 -b128 --lowpass 15
--cwlimit 10 - /home/webgiant/PrairieHomeCompanion.mp3
--tt "A Prairie Home Companion" --ta "KCUR/NPR"

I'm still working out the MP3 tag commands in LAME, as
well as scripting the whole thing into using unique
filenames so I could leave it for two weeks without
overwriting the first week's recording.

The ecasound -t command is where the "timed recording"
comes in.  The number is time in seconds, so "A
Prairie Home Companion" requires 120 minutes times 60
seconds, or 7200.  The above number is a test number.