Anyone seen the new Sun FileSystem

Oren Beck oren_beck at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 22 11:09:03 CDT 2004

Brian Densmore wrote:
> Well we are talking about a storage capability of 3.4 x10(38th)
> [that's terabytes to the almost the 9th power].
> That's an awful lot of storage and although there might be at
> some point in the future the capabilities of using such massive
> amounts of data, it simply doesn't compare to Billy boy's 640k
> statement. Not to mention we aren't even close to achieving that
> kind of storage device. Oh sure we could probably build one with
> current technology, but the cost would be prohibitive and it would
> probably require liquid cooling.
>
> Brian

I brought some of this up at last night's breakfast . Some folks seem to
take this filesystem  with the usual  NaCl granule that all press
releases _should_be taken with , At worst that may be all that comes of
this - another stock puffer attempt based on a vaporware . I sense that
this *could* be different .
Again to be honest my detail skill in the esoterica of filesystems is
way below many others here.
SO some constructive review of this from folks who know truth from vapor
would help us all .

And the comments about "cooling" or  areal density per device overlook
the bigger picture .
The crazy vision to me is a

We now have commodity external drives of 500 gig that at $1/gig and
dropping make spatial RAID an interesting viral  market . That office
having a fat pipe to the world that goes unused from 1700 to 0745 could
make some credits in a new economy for hosting a piconode  . Merely
plugging some Videotape mailer sized boxes into a firewire port and
AC - hit the web register interface and allocate XXX Gb  to the "pool"
in trade for whatever exchange medium this unborn as yet may use .
NOTE : one possible use is locally mirroring not only a Distro but
Archival versions of any
OSS projects that code rollback may someday be a good idea for .
Example further is projects being walked away from by creators who would
donate their files for future resurrection .

The grand  unification in filesystems that IF it's not vaporware made
possible here would allow this and more to become trivial!

Oren Beck

www.campdownunder.com

" That comment about standing on the shoulders of Giants lacks any
feedback from the big guys themselves "