LAX Outage due to Windows Crash

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Wed Sep 22 10:28:07 CDT 2004

According to TechWorld (http://www.techworld.com/), recent outages at LAX
are due to poor integration of an "upgrade" from Unix to Windows:
http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?NewsID=2275

They report that "The servers are timed to shut down after 49.7 days of
use in order to prevent a data overload, a union official told the LA
Times. To avoid this automatic shutdown, technicians are required to
restart the system manually every 30 days. An improperly trained employee
failed to reset the system, leading it to shut down without warning...".

I dunno about the rest of you, but I can schedule a Windows server to
reboot once a week if it's running software suspected of not releasing
resources when it should.  Wonder why they can't?

Wasn't it Microsoft itself that said that Windows should NOT be use for
"Mission Critical Applications"?