New to the but not linux

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Tue Sep 21 09:17:13 CDT 2004

Two things I would like to add. You might consider making
the next filesystem ext3 rather than ext2. Ext3 can usually
deal with system crashes *****much***** better than plain
vanilla ext2. you can even convert ext2 filesystems to ext3 without
any data loss, provided of course you do it *before* the filesystem
becomes corrupted.
There are FOSS utilities that may be able to pull the data off of
your drive even in the state it is in. The down side is you would have
to pretty much pick through the resulting data manually as the filenames
will be something totally meaningless. I did this with a system of mine
that was cracked and traced the activities of the cracker and recovered
some files he created and some of my own files. It's a lot of work and it
takes hours for the utility to recover the data and of course you need a spare
harddrive.

Brian