Trouble with my new Compaq DL380

Jon Moss jon.moss at cnonline.net
Sat Sep 11 08:26:53 CDT 2004

Runlevel 3, yes, I would like to do that, but once it tries to load the
graphical interface, I can't get to any other console - not even the
system one.  And since the ethernet shuts down or disconnects also, I
can't SSH in or anything.

I'm stuck.  I liked Fedora Core 2 (and Redhat 9) but I think I've got a
hardware issue with this Compaq.

If I'm in Linux Rescue mode, do I have the ability to review runlevel 3?
How do I change the startup configuration to not load the graphical
interface?  I've never had to mess with my Linux installs like this
before.

Also, if I choose to "reinstall" Fedora Core 2 over the existing install,
do I have to fdisk the drives, or will it just overwrite and update what's
there?

Thanks!

Jon Moss