cron

John Geiger John.Geiger at FossTraining.com
Wed Oct 27 09:29:54 CDT 2004

* Brian Densmore (DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com) wrote:

> Ok, I added my blacklist script to the /etc/cron.daily subdirectory.

> I gave it the same ownership and rights as the other scripts in there.

> I am using the same shell to execute it. But it is not running, or if

> it is it is not updating the blacklist hold file. If I run it manually

> it works. I figured that since I was making it a "system" cron job

> that simply placing it in the directory would activate it. Apparently

> that isn't the case. I know I can create a root cronjob to do this,

> but I really wanted it to be part of the base system. What am I doing
wrong?

In addition to the suggestions already offered, what is the setting in
your /etc/crontab file for running daily jobs? You could modify the
daily entry (or temporarily mv your script to /etc/cron.hourly) as part
of your debugging process. I have to believe the script is being kicked
off by cron but, as someone else has noted, may have a PATH problem or
other environmental variable problem of some sort.

Or, just to make sure, the ID that your blacklist script runs under does
have permission to update the blacklist hold file, right?

John M Geiger

Instructor

Foss Training Center

(913) 322-7052