ReiserFS: hda2: warning: vs-8115:

L. Adrian Griffis adrian at nerds.org
Fri Oct 15 21:54:08 CDT 2004

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, hanasaki wrote:
> L. Adrian Griffis wrote:
> > On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, hanasaki wrote:
> > > any thoughts on the below msg?
> > >
> > > did a fsck and also a rebuild tree and still get this every couple weeks.
> > >
> > > ReiserFS: hda2: warning: vs-8115: get_num_ver: not directory item
> >

> > Not offhand.  Are you aware, though that there is a ReiserFS bug in some
> > SMP kernels?  Is this a multiprocessor system, or has anything funny
> > happened that might have resulted in you running an SMP kernel, even if
> > you are on a single process system?
> >
> > Adrian
> >

> hmmm whats the bug?  did not know about it... but .. its not smp .. just
> verified

I don't remember the details.  I got bitten by it when I installed SuSE
9.1 on a dual processor machine.  The result for me was that, after around
a week, my system would develop some error that couldn't be resolved
during bootup, and it would hang during ReiserFS log replay.  I couldn't
figure out any way around it but to re-install.  There's a patch that
I need to track down, but the trouble this problem caused me has made me
reluctant to put an SMP kernel back in place again, until I am absolutely
sure I have the problem fixed.  I'm running a single processor kernel on
this dual processor system, at the moment.

Adrian