Help configuring fetchmail

linux at bizniche.com linux at bizniche.com
Wed Oct 13 13:52:01 CDT 2004

Jeremy Turner <jeremy at linuxwebguy.com> wrote on 10/13/2004, 08:37:16 PM:
> On Wed, October 13, 2004 1:26 pm, linux at bizniche.com said:
> > That sounds exactly like what I want to do. I guess I get confused
> > because I often see procmail and exim mentioned in the same
> > context...leading me to believe they do the same thing.
> >
> > So, all I need to add is procmail.  Currently, I guess exim sends the
> > mail to my Maildir...and now I need to tell it to send to procmail
> > instead.  I'll read up on procmail and see how it might fit in.
>
> If you're using Debian, you can 'apt-get install procmail' then create
> yourself a ~/.procmailrc file.  exim in woody and in sarge is setup to
> check for procmail _before_ delivering to maildir, unless you set it up
> differently.  Basically, if the procmail transport is listed before the
> maildir transport, you're okay.

I am using debian, but while trying to get it working, I did change the
exim conf to use maildir.  The related section looks like this:

local_delivery:
  driver = appendfile
  group = mail
  mode = 0660
  mode_fail_narrower = false
  envelope_to_add = true
  return_path_add = true
  directory=${home}/Maildir
  maildir_format = true
  prefix=""

Is this the trasport that you mentioned?  What does a procmail setup
look like?

I also see this procmail section in the conf file, but I'm not sure if
it's doing anything.

procmail_pipe:
  driver = pipe
  command = "/usr/bin/procmail"
  return_path_add
  delivery_date_add
  envelope_to_add
# check_string = "From "
# escape_string = ">From "
  suffix = ""

> Now what should go in your .procmailrc?  I used to list all of my mailing
> lists by hand, then I found this script:
>
> http://www.dotfiles.com/files/12/215_.procmailrc
>
> This procmailrc will attempt to dynamically check for certain headers in
> the email and then deliver them into that folder.  It works great 99% of
> the time.  The only problem is that one mailing list uses the email
> address of "talk at ...." so that mailing list gets put under the 'talk'
> folder.  KCLUG, however gets put under the 'kclug' folder.
>
> The drawback is that if SpamAssassin (or your spam solution) doesn't catch
> an email and the spam email has a header that _looks like_ it's from a
> mailing list, then it creates a new folder to put the mail in.  I have a
> couple of folders that were created in this way.
>
> But like I said, 99% good.

So, you're using it to filter mail into folders, and the mail is all
coming from the same email account, correct?  I have fetchmail checking
a few different pop3 accounts, and so I could probably filter by the
to: address or something, and place them in different folders, as you
say.  Either way, fetchmail will dump it all into one place and then
procmail can filter it.  Right?

Matt