Help configuring fetchmail

Jeremy Turner jeremy at linuxwebguy.com
Wed Oct 13 13:37:16 CDT 2004

On Wed, October 13, 2004 1:26 pm, linux at bizniche.com said:
> That sounds exactly like what I want to do. I guess I get confused
> because I often see procmail and exim mentioned in the same
> context...leading me to believe they do the same thing.
>
> So, all I need to add is procmail.  Currently, I guess exim sends the
> mail to my Maildir...and now I need to tell it to send to procmail
> instead.  I'll read up on procmail and see how it might fit in.

If you're using Debian, you can 'apt-get install procmail' then create
yourself a ~/.procmailrc file.  exim in woody and in sarge is setup to
check for procmail _before_ delivering to maildir, unless you set it up
differently.  Basically, if the procmail transport is listed before the
maildir transport, you're okay.

Now what should go in your .procmailrc?  I used to list all of my mailing
lists by hand, then I found this script:

http://www.dotfiles.com/files/12/215_.procmailrc

This procmailrc will attempt to dynamically check for certain headers in
the email and then deliver them into that folder.  It works great 99% of
the time.  The only problem is that one mailing list uses the email
address of "talk at ...." so that mailing list gets put under the 'talk'
folder.  KCLUG, however gets put under the 'kclug' folder.

The drawback is that if SpamAssassin (or your spam solution) doesn't catch
an email and the spam email has a header that _looks like_ it's from a
mailing list, then it creates a new folder to put the mail in.  I have a
couple of folders that were created in this way.

But like I said, 99% good.

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Turner <jeremy at linuxwebguy.com>