Command Question

D. Joe Anderson kclug at etrumeus.com
Mon Oct 11 14:07:39 CDT 2004

On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 11:12:06AM -0500, Brian Kelsay wrote:
> On Linux, can't you just run ssh with an option for logging?

The recommendation to use the "script" command is right on the
money.

The other thing I expect is in wide use for this sort of thing
is GNU screen.  It has toggle-able logging, as well as a host of
other very cool features (my recent favorite:  the ability to
copy-and-paste from the scrollback buffer without needing to use
the mouse).

If I start a shell session to do anything but the most trivial
task, and don't start a screen session either around it or
within it, I invariably regret not running screen.  It's a real
use-it-all-the-time-every-day type of tool.

Between 'script' and 'screen', the bases are pretty well
covered.  I expect any command-line junkie who uses anything
else (in a Unix-ish environment, at least) either has some very
unusual and specific needs, or doesn't know about these two
tools.

--
Joe