screen scrollback

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue Nov 30 17:19:45 CST 2004

On Tuesday 30 November 2004 02:49 pm, Bill Cavalieri wrote:

> > The problem is that when running screen in a terminal window, screen
> > tends to intercept the scrollback buffer.   This means that whatever
> > you've configured for the terminal program is often irrelevant, as is the
> > terminal program's normal scrollback function.

> How is this to happen?

(Meaning, aparantly, "How is normal scrollback functionality to be maintained
when using multiple screen sessions?")

That's easy:  Just like putty does it.

Yes, each session in screen needs it's own buffer.  No, I'm not sure how putty
achieves this.

I'm also not able to check to make sure putty works with multiple screen
sessions, if at all.  I do know that my default xterm will not scroll back
with a _single_ screen session - the buffer indicator goes to 100% when I
launch screen.

I have read the manuals, which is why I find it frustrating when people on the
list just quote man pages at me regarding this.  They don't actually address
the problem.

Thank YOU very much though, you found the answer:

Place

termcapinfo xterm ti@:te@

in your .screenrc file.

(better yet in /etc/screenrc)