screen scrollback

Bill Cavalieri bcavalieri at lumensoftware.com
Tue Nov 30 14:49:24 CST 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 07:53 -0600, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
> Ooookaaay.
>
> Once again, I think we've gone off on tangents without attention to the
> original thread.

Tangents?  Everyone has been RTFM for you, and given the solution.

> The problem is that when running screen in a terminal window, screen tends to
> intercept the scrollback buffer.   This means that whatever you've configured
> for the terminal program is often irrelevant, as is the terminal program's
> normal scrollback function.

How is this to happen?  You have forgotten the purpose for using screen
in the first place.  To be able to detach, and attach to a running
terminal.

How are you going to page up/down in xterms buffer when you detach?

You can also run multiple screen windows (ctrl-a c & ctrl-a n) so which
buffer is xterms page up/down suppose to scroll?

Hence the need for screen to have its own buffer.

> While the ability to use screen's buffer-edit function does give you a
> scrollback, it also transforms the expected, accustomed behavior of the
> terminal; the ease of scrolling back with a mouse wheel or familiar keys.
>
> Somehow, putty overcomes this, and manages to buffer and allow scrollback even
> within screen sessions.  Wouldn't it be nice if common Linux/Xwindows
> terminal programs did as good a job of integrating with this common Linux
> utility?

Quickly checking the screen mailing list, turned up this link
http://www4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~jnweiger/screen-faq.html

Look at Q:My xterm scrollbar does not work with screen. For how to do
what you want, even though the value of it is limited, see my comments
above.