Multiple desktop clients per kdm server

Jeremy Turner jeremy at linuxwebguy.com
Tue Nov 30 13:46:59 CST 2004

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 11:13:02AM -0600, Brian Densmore wrote:
> I'm running kdm and would like to know if anyone is
> running more than one desktop simultaneously?

Check the /etc/kdm/kde3/kdm/Xservers file.  I have a line that says:

:0 local at tty1 /usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp vt7

My guess is that you would add a line just below it that says:

:1 local at tty2 /usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp vt8

Additionally, if you're not too concerned about physical security, you
can put a section on the /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc line that will autologin
your user on vt7 and your wife's user on vt8.  I don't use kdm, so I
don't know exactly how that would look, but the top of the kdmrc file
looks like it is possible.

HTH,

Jeremy