Game programming

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Mon Nov 29 13:30:46 CST 2004

Brian Densmore wrote:
> Game programming is best done in straight C++ with
> occasional/frequent inline assembly thrown in. OOP programming
> adds a great deal of overhead to programming in general.
> But then with the powerful systems in use today, I suppose it
> is "ok" to use OOP to write games (although I wouldn't). Perhaps
> that is why so many of today's games require high-end systems,
> or maybe not.

I agree with Brian's comments except for that I would wager that some of
today's extremely large games wouldn't be possible without OOP.
Certainly OOP would not be required for anything you will be doing as a
hobby but when 'objects' you're manipulated in 3D space are -- well --
objects... I can't think of any better use of OOP. Though, I feel dizzy
to think of the inheritance digrams for those kinds of games.

As a side note, knowledge of Calculus III would be extremely helpful in
any 3D programming you might do.

I have often thought it would be neat to get a peek at how companies
like Blizzard do game development -- the quality of their games is so
superb.