screen scrollback

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Sun Nov 28 10:30:07 CST 2004

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
> Regarding some recent discussion of getting a convenient scrollback buffer
> working with screen in an Xterm:  I notice that Ctrl-PgUp works fine in
> Putty under windows.

Ctrl+PgUp/PgDn in PuTTY, IIRC, is used to scroll back in PuTTY's own
buffer. You can also do some variation of this in most of the XTerm
emulators available on Linux when running Screen. Due to my limited
knowledge of how the specific protocol works, I can only guess, but I
think that works because new lines in the buffer are appended to the
bottom of the screen and old lines are pushed off the top.

In Screen the official scroll back method is Ctrl+A ESC then PgUp and
PgDn. ESC to exit scroll mode. You can also mark for copy and paste in
this mode.