Linux Backups: Tape Drives

Dave Hull dphull at insipid.com
Sat Nov 20 14:45:49 CST 2004

Tell me a story about tape drives.

I'm looking for any recommendations/horror stories about tape libraries and
Linux.

I've got a Sun StorEdge L9 that I've been thinking of putting on a Linux box.
It's an HP Ultrium C71471A (er something) that's been rebranded as a Sun
device. I've read it has different firmware than the HP version, but according
to information at http://amanda.org some folk(s) are using it with Linux.

Then I read that this thing is no longer made, let alone supported, therefore I
don't want to depend on it ultimately, but in the short term, it likely
outperforms nothing.

Another thing that I'm not sure of yet, is the capacity of the tape library for
this thing. On the high end, it may be 900GB, but based on what I've seen so
far I think it's a measely 360GB which probably isn't going to cut it... for
long.

Anybody using high capacity backup system they're are really happy with?

Thanks.

--
Dave Hull
http://insipid.com