Redhat Enterprise Edition and Mono

Frank Wiles frank at wiles.org
Fri Nov 19 16:24:56 CST 2004

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:08:21 -0600
"Charles, Joshua Micah \(UMKC-Student\)" <jmcqk6 at umkc.edu> wrote:

> Frank Wiles [mailto:frank at wiles.org] wrote:
>
> >  First off, don't do it to a live system.  Do it on a test platform.
> >  Get a spare PC somewhere and put the same version of RH on it and
> > up2date them to match.  Then install mono on the test box.
>
> >  Anything else is asking for trouble...
>
> Well, that's part of the problem.  It's a dedicated server in a local
> hosting company (Arsalon).  I only have access to the machine over
> SSH, and Redhat Enterprise Linux (I believe) is not a free download.
> I did insist that they take a complete back up of the system before we
> start, so that will exist.

  You can use CentOS which was mentioned on here previously. It is about
  as identical to RHEL as you can get and it's free to download.  You'd
  want to double check me, but I believe you could use their install
  media on a test server, without violating the license, provided you
  didn't expect support, updates, etc.