SuSE Package Management (was Re: SENDMAIL - HELP - SUSE)

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Thu Nov 18 11:37:33 CST 2004

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Jonathan Hutchins
>
> ... but right now I don't
> know what I
> _would_ recommend.

<best Horshack(sic?) voice>
OOO! OOO! I know Mr. Kotter!

The answer is debian!
</voice>

I'm not sure why SuSE wouldn't make a good server,
but I haven't used it in a while. Last I checked,
all the major distros had a server install selection.

I like debian because of the ease of maintenance, and
the ability to install and activate only what you need.
It's clean, stable and straight forward if you use
apt to maintain the system and get on the debian-security
mailing list.

Mandrake also has a server only option, but adds other
packages that I would prefer not be installed on a server.
Of course it depends on what your server is serving.

Then there is always www.distrowatch.com which could be searched
for a server distro (such as Zenix to name but one).

Brian D.