modifying kernel

Ben Coffman ben_coffman at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 11 18:02:08 CST 2004

its not a magic place...no way...blows my mind

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 18:20:30 +0000
"Ben Coffman" <ben_coffman at hotmail.com> wrote:

 > I thought I installed the source, but I guess it just puts a
 > linux-2.6.9.tar.bz2 file in your /usr/src/redhat/SOURCE file...which I
 >
 > assume you have to upack and move to the /usr/src file...If this works
 > I'll give a heads up if it does I will be asking for help again.

   If you're building a kernel on a Red Hat system and want to make a
   kernel RPM, you need to learn how to build RPMs and compile them
   as SRPMs.

   If you don't mind not having your kernel in your RPM database you
   can just download a kernel source from kernel.org and build it
   from wherever.... /usr/src/linux isn't a "magic place" or anything.

    Frank Wiles <frank at wiles.org>
    http://www.wiles.org