windows shares...

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Sun Mar 14 15:54:25 CST 2004

On Sunday, March 14, 2004 04:13 am, Kendrick-LUG wrote:

> I was wondering if any one had seen a program like daemontools  for
> windows that would allow mounting a linux drive under windows over the
> net..  not nessasarly raw device but woud not notice the difference
> between local and not..

You can, of course, "mount" a Samba share from a Linux server as a "drive" on
a Windows machine, that's how Windows does it.  A Windows server will allow
you to "mount" that share as a part of a tree which it can then share - this
is more similar to *NIX' ability to mount a share at any point in the file
tree.  Windows Services for UNIX will allow you to mount NFS shares, and to
incorporate them into shared trees on the server. (I believe this is called
"DFS", where a server incorporates multiple shares into a tree.)

What you _can't_ do in Windows is mount a remote share at an arbitrary point
in a file tree - you can't mount \servershare as c:foobarblat, nor can
you mount \servershare as F: and then link F: to c:foobarblat.