Yet another Linux on the desktop article

Brian Kelsay BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov
Fri Jul 30 13:59:19 CDT 2004

A few days after the article I linked, there were two more on OSNews.

I found this user comment rather pithy:  "The thing Linux needs the most is a bunch of clueless
people posting on osnews every week opinion about what other people should do with Linux. "

and this:
<quote>
When will be see real working solutions to desktop Linux unreadiness rather than rants.
How come we don't see opinion articles about how FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, OS X, Window XP, Amiga,
SkyOS, Menuet OS, RiscOS, OS/2 etc suck? And how some of them look like tricycles instead of
concords.
No, it's always about how Linux isn't desktop ready. It's like Linux is the only OS that isn't
desktop ready. And guess why it isn't desktop ready?
Because it doesn't work like the author's favorite "desktop ready" OS. Opinion articles are exactly
what they are, opinions.
If you had to know my opinion on these so called "desktop ready" operating systems, I'll probably
be skinned alive. I'd rather read patches, bug reports and desktop reviews than rants and bogus
"opinions."
</quote>

A lot of times these articles only stir the pot, kind of like me, and not produce real answers.
OSNews apparently let's just about anyone post an opinion piece and don't check their article for
bogus info/problems/complaints.   Both articles contained stuff that is solved or in progress
already.  I don't know, maybe we should just ignore the idiots.  Move along, nothing to see here.

Brian Kelsay