Spamassassin installation and Virus worm protection advice on Redhat

Uncle Jim jim at jimani.com
Wed Jul 14 05:37:16 CDT 2004

Joe,

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 10:37:18AM -0500, Joe Cho wrote:

> So, I am going to format the computer and start to fresh install the system
> again with Redhat 9.
>
> I would like to ask of you if you don't mind.
> I would like to have advice for installing Spamassasin with Redhat 9 and
> Sendmail.

If you get the tar-ball of version 2.63 (Mail-SpamAssassin-2.63.tar.gz) and
un-tar it you will find a "spamassassin.spec" file in the Mail-SpamAssassin-2.63
directory that will work with RedHat 9.0.  Just put the tar file
(Mail-SpamAssassin-2.63.tar.gz) in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES and that .spec
file in /usr/src/redhat/SPECS and do "rpmbuild -ba spamassassin.spec" from
the SPECS directory.  You can then install the rpms found in your
/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386 directory (or contact me off list for my binary
rpms).

> A recommendation for blocking those bad worm and virus on Redhat.

I have heard that ClamAV works well on evil things found in E-mail but I have
no experience.

--
Jim