Phone Logging

Monty J. Harder lists at kc.rr.com
Sun Jul 11 15:23:09 CDT 2004

Check out http://www.ascendis.com/callerid/help/hyperterminal_test.php,
which shows how to test a modem with HyperTerminal, but a cu session ought
to be pretty much the same, eh?

----snip----
8) Type the command to enable caller id on your modem.  This may be
specified in the modem documentation, or on the manufacturers website.  My
modem (and many others) use "AT#CID=1" (without the quotes).  Press RETURN
after the command.  (If you don't know the command to enable caller id on
your modem, you can try each of the following until the modem responds with
"OK"):
AT#CID=1
AT%CCID=1
AT+VCID=1
AT#CC1
AT*ID1
----snip----
----snip----
9) Receive a phone call, letting it ring at least twice.  The modem should
respond with something like:
RING
DATE = 0309
TIME = 1800
NAME = DOE,JOHN
NMBR = 8005551212
RING
----snip----

Step 9 brings up what should be a blindingly-obvious fact of CID: it's
transmitted between the first two rings.  But I'm so used to setting modems
up to answer on the first ring that I don't normally think about this. So,
the *getty that's monitoring the port would need to use an int string that
includes the CID activation string discovered in Step 8, as well as the
command to answer on the second (or maybe third just to be safe?) ring
(normally S0=2, but check your modem docs to be sure what that command is.
Then see what the *getty logs, and if it isn't giving you what you want,
hack the source so it does.

Do something like
sed 's/ = /=/g
s/RING//g
to convert that mess into a single line for your log file:
 DATE=0309 TIME=1800 NAME=DOE,JOHN NMBR=8005551212