Knowing their politics by their software

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Sat Jul 10 05:44:21 CDT 2004

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 22:14:46 -0500 Jim Herrmann <kclug at ItDepends.com>
writes:
>  From the International Herald Tribune:
> http://www.iht.com/articles/527974.html
>
>  From the article:
> In a campaign season of polarization, when Republicans
> and Democrats seem far apart on issues like Iraq, the
> economy and leadership style, it is perhaps not surprising
> that the parties find themselves on different sides in the
> politics of software as well.
>
> The Web sites of Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts
> and of the Democratic National Committee run mainly
> on the technology of the computing counterculture:
> open-source software that is distributed free, and
> improved and debugged by far-flung networks of
> programmers.
>
> In the other corner, the Web sites of President George
> W. Bush and the Republican National Committee run on
> software supplied by the corporate embodiment of big
> business - Microsoft.
>
> Putting on my flame resistant underwear.  I'm just reporting.  :-)
>
> Peace,
> Jim

Well, considering that the Clinton DOJ was ready to break up
the Micro$oft monopoly, and the Bush DOJ was ready to roll
out the red carpet to the Micro$oft monopoly, its not too
surprising.

On a related note: are gifts of technology considered campaign
contributions?  Are there limits on gifts of technology as
campaign contributions?  Can one undervalue the equipment to
give more than legally allowed in cash?