Nwtworking PowerMac to Linux to Windows

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Mon Jul 5 18:38:54 CDT 2004

On Sunday 04 July 2004 05:32 pm, Leo J Mauler wrote:

Why not just move the files you want to share to to the linux machine, share
them via samba to the Windows box and via netatalk to the Mac?  User files
and shared files should be stored on a central server anyway.

> And why is it that there are no free Macintosh SAMBA clients?

Apple is the most restricted, closed source bunch of A.R. dunderheads in the
bunch.  Next to them, IBM and Microsoft are wide open.  They (along with
Lotus) practically patented the look-and-feel lawsuit!  Their entire business
model was based on suing people for decades, which is how they got down to
the market share they have.  OS-X only has the capability to run samba becuse
it's based on the free BSD OS they used to catch up with Linux and Windows.

If you think Apple taking advantage of free software means they support Open
Source or the philosophy behind it, ask yourself where the Linux iChat client
is.

Microsoft, a major shareholder in Apple, Inc., offers Mac filesharing on it's
platforms that are intended to run as network servers, so there's no reason
for Apple to have ever developed it.

>From all evidence, working with non-Apple operating systems is contrary to the
Apple philosophy.  Years of supporting Mac's in heterogenous environments
leads me to believe they were never intended to work properly with anything
but other Mac's.

(Sorry, I have this profound allergy to Mac evangelism.)