Nwtworking PowerMac to Linux to Windows

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Sun Jul 4 22:22:31 CDT 2004

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 14:47:23 -0500 Brian Kelsay <bkelsay at comcast.net>
writes:
> Leo J Mauler wrote:
> > I've got a PowerMac running Mac OS 8.1, and I'd like to
> > link it up to a Linux server somehow.  I don't have the cash
> > to buy a Macintosh SAMBA client ($120????) so I was
> > thinking about trying out netatalk as NFS continues to
> > frighten me (and Mac NFS clients are pricey too).
> >
> > Has anyone else ever managed this?  Does Mac OS 8.1
> > come pre-installed with all the stuff it needs for regular
> > network connections?  The system already has a PCI
> > Ethernet card, it connects to the Internet through a
> > shared cable modem connection, and the Mac gets a
> > dynamic IP from the DHCP server on the router.
> >
> > Part of the situation is that I'd like to link the PowerMac
> > to certain hard drives on a Windows PC I have. Since
> > there's no free Mac SAMBA client for pre-Mac OS X
> > machines, I was thinking about a convoluted solution
> > involving mounting the Windows PC drives over the
> > network onto the Linux machine, then sharing those
> > network mounted PC drives to the PowerMac via netatalk.
>
> Leo, linux can talk mac netatalk, so you just network the
> mac in mac ways.  The linux box looks and acts like a mac
> to the mac.  Mac attack!!

I understand this, I've seen the native netatalk support in Linux for
years now (never used it before though).

The problem is that the Linux server would be serving up a network drive
to the Macintosh which was actually a SAMBA share from a Windows PC.
What I was wondering is how much of a drain on system resources this will
be.  In other words, can I use a Pentium-200Mhz machine to handle the
server end, or will I need a faster machine to handle the fact that two
separate and distinct networking protocols will be operating
simultaneously on the same files?

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 11:38:38 -0500 crash 3m <crash3m at gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 08:50:57 -0500, Leo J Mauler <webgiant at juno.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I've got a PowerMac running Mac OS 8.1, and I'd like to link it up
> > to a Linux server somehow.  I don't have the cash to buy a Macintosh
> > SAMBA client ($120????) so I was thinking about trying out netatalk
> > as NFScontinues to frighten me (and Mac NFS clients are pricey too).
> >
> > Has anyone else ever managed this?  Does Mac OS 8.1 come
> > pre-installed with all the stuff it needs for regular network
connections?
> > The system already has a PCI Ethernet card, it connects to the
Internet
> > through a shared cable modem connection, and the Mac gets a dynamic
> > IP from the DHCP server on the router.
> >
> > Part of the situation is that I'd like to link the PowerMac to
certain
> > hard drives on a Windows PC I have. Since there's no free Mac
> > SAMBA client for pre-Mac OS X machines, I was thinking about a
> > convoluted solution involving mounting the Windows PC drives over
> > the network onto the Linux machine, then sharing those network
> > mounted PC drives to the PowerMac via netatalk.
>
> I dont think the solution you've considered of using samba/netatalk
> is convuluted, I think it would be a great use of the tools at hand.

I was trying to say something more like "complicated", in that there's
several steps involved instead of just dropping PC MACLAN on the Windows
PC, DAVE on the Mac, or a copy of PC-MAC-NET on both machines.

And why is it that there are no free Macintosh SAMBA clients?  Is it that
Mac OS X comes with the PC-to-Mac functionality and that SAMBA only
started getting interesting around the time OS X came out?