Another call for hardware.

Oren Beck oren_beck at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 1 22:00:23 CDT 2004

>From: Jason Clinton <me at jasonclinton.com>
>To: kclug at kclug.org
>Subject: Another call for hardware.
>Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 09:33:40 -0500
>
>We have gotten the domain transfered to Hal; Walt Lane has given us 1U of
>rackspace + bandwidth, Bill Cavaleri has offered a low profile P3-800 +
>hard drives but we don't have a 1U case and we need to do this soon as
>Netstandard is expecting us to install.
>
>So, again... who has a 1U?
>

><< signature.asc >>

Don't know if this will help - but worth trying . Surplus Exchange off 12th
st "behind the haunted houses " has a lower tier salvage operation across
the street from the main store . Was there last thurs and saw truckloads of
racks many with what seemed to be viable for this project hardware .
Could be a profitable "field trip for the group ,members who enjoy digging
thru piles of hardware ranging from xt's thru P4/300s . I have recently got
P4/300/64Mb/1Gand a 52Xcd for $10 !
OF course the rack situation is the reason for current thread. Look at it
like this folks-

Electronics supply on main has a plexi fronted rack on their showroom floor
tagged @ $ 900 .
SE had 30+ on their truck dock destined to be sledgehammered into dumpster
bait for lack of buyers . Could not the LUG consider reclaiming these ahd
having some way to resell to other LUG's not so blessed with our resources ?
THAT being how we could finance projects in UML hosting .

My UML query is a non FAQ solvable . Does UML lend itself to drives
dispersed spatially across a net ?

If we were to get ambitious and make any rackmounted projects Surplus
exchange is usually amazingly cheap for the lower tier area . And Linux
running on some older large case boxes can make wonderful CHEAP fileservs .

Which brings a query for the group . The tradition of the "breakfast" has
served us well . Other groups have had a tradition of the "Premeeting" .
Usually at a location having better parking than the main meet spot . Then
we'd carpool to the meet . And reverse afterwards . Would this increase our
attendance at the new location ?

Oren Beck

www.campdownunder.com

" Today the issue was raised of mindshare for Open Source being hampered by
disbelief that anything not charged for could be useful . The stipulant
directed his co-worker to read Heinlein's explanation as to why the
so-called Church in SIASL actually charged for services "