recommendation for laptop with Linux

Brian Kelsay BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov
Tue Aug 24 16:34:58 CDT 2004

I agree that the IBM laptops are tougher than the average other brand.  I like my 390E, but wish I
had a newer faster model with the ram maxed out.  I always have trouble finding the exact ram to go
in laptops.

You can find some good deals on eBay, but research the item to make sure you don't overbid and
definitely set a limit for yourself.  You may be better off with the $600 Walmart special and a ram
upgrade after all.  Deal with users that have a high rating or 100% positives.  The high rating
people are dealers and have a rep. to protect and the people with a low score, but 100% positive
are average joes like you and me that have just bought and sold a few items.  Finally, don't get in
a big hurry or you may overbid, get pissed off, throw stuff or use "buy it now" and cost yourself
extra money.  I have done all of the above.  :-)

The Linux on laptops site seemed, to me, to be pretty old and out of date.  At that, I had a hell
of a time trying to find info on an old laptop that I started with.  I never did get sound working
on the old stuff.  Damn you OPL3-Sax!!!  Yamaha sound chips are the bane of my existence.  AOL and
Windows ME are in that list too, but we are talking laptops here.

Brian Kelsay

>>> Chris Bier <chris.bier at cymor.com> 08/24/04 11:18AM >>>

Gary Hildebrand wrote:
<snip />
| (mostly IBM's yeech).  I'm in a very tight budget (isn't everyone these
<snip />

I've had excellent luck with my IBM laptops.  They are practically
indestructable and work very well with Linux.  I highly reccommend them
to my friends.
~  You might want to check ebay.  It's where I've gotten mine.

| I'll see if I can't get some model numbers and collate them against your
| suggestions.
|
| Gary Hildebrand
| St. Joseph, MO

http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/  has a lot of information and is
helpful to find out how hard it is to get Linux running on specific models.

Chris