Backup

Monty J. Harder lists at kc.rr.com
Wed Aug 18 15:00:57 CDT 2004

"Kendrick-LUG" <kulua at linux2themax.com> wrote:

> us government for best examples.     2 swapping the device is not the
> problem its initialing the critter.  ie bios must know about it or it no
> workie..   also  scsi  is super mystical hardware.. how ever i do think

  Not true.  Once the Linux kernel is loaded, the BIOS doesn't even exist
for all practical purposes.  I've seen hot-swappable mounts for IDE drives
that come with Windows drivers, so there's no reason why Linux can't handle
it.  The electronics in the mounting hardware might well tell some creative
lies to the BIOS at boot, so as to get it to believe that SOME drive exists
there, even if the geometry is all wrong, or the driver might handle it all
later.  With that in mind, the actual mechanism for mounting the filesystem
when the HS drive is inserted might involve it showing up as /dev/sda just
like USB pen drives do.