Resizing Reiser

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Tue Aug 17 13:28:10 CDT 2004

Hmmm...

You shrank the reiser filesystem? You should be able to shrink
a filesystem and not affect the partition. Shrinking a filesystem
should not cause any overlap in partitions. The worst you should
be able to expect is unused partition space. It is only when you
create filesystems that are larger than a partition that you should
begin to expect cross partition corruption. In fact if you needed to
shrink the reiser filesystem, I would say it is absolutely necessary
to resize the reiser filesystem first. This should force a sync of the
disk, but perhaps it didn't. I know this is all hind-sight, but I
would say it is important to force the disc to sync and to reboot the system
after resizing a filesystem and before resizing partitions, and also to
sync and reboot after resizing partitions and before doing anything else.

Brian Densmore