Resizing Reiser

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue Aug 17 12:52:58 CDT 2004

On Monday 16 August 2004 11:18 pm, hanasaki wrote:

> The tools from vcom (partition ccommander) have been great!  I used to
> use partition magic but switched a few years ago.  The $50 is worth it,
> to me, in saved headaches.  If you resize the partition with your
> kernel, and are using lilo, don't forget to rerun lilo from knoppix or
> something.  Generally I put a 100meg partition at the front of my disk
> that is a completely self contained linux install.  Its a nice quick
> rescue tool.

I think that the problem is that reiser is a sort of virtual filesystem within
the "physical" filesystem.  I haven't tried it to be sure, but I've been told
that the correct method is to resize the partition on the disk _first_ - even
by using fdisk to delete and re-define it - then use the reiser-resize tool
to match the virtual filesystem to the partition.

I did it the other way - shrank the filesystem first, then resized the
partition, and did not have good results.  I was also using older versions of
the tools, which may have made a difference.